Monday, May 20, 2013

Buying the Farm

I did it!  I’m officially a landowner!  Wahoo!!!

Me, with my giant set of the closing documents


Today was closing day, and although things did not go as smoothly as I would have liked them to, the deed is done and the land is mine.  It won’t be too long before I can move in and really get settled.  I think we’re in the home stretch!!!

I must thank (and would confidently recommend) Jim Stecker at Countryplace Mortgage.  If you’re looking to buy a mobile home in AR, MO or OK, then you just can’t do any better than Jim.  He did an outstanding job throughout the process, and displayed an attention to detail and a sense of patience that just never quit.  So.very.impressive.  On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, my appraiser was a piece of work; although my home appraised well, it took 5 weeks and listening to umpteen lies to actually get the report.  So if you’re looking to have an appraisal done and move in sometime this century, please comment or message me if you’d like to know who NOT to hire. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: Mom and Dad got the main gate installed on the driveway, we did a test run on the security system and we worked on getting the spot ready for the home and septic.  Mom bush-hogged with the tractor (I’m telling you, she loves driving that thing – there’s no getting the keys away from her!) and I followed on foot with the little one, getting in closer to trees and the marker stakes.  The big milestone for me this weekend was seeing a snake on the land for the first time – a decent size black one moving quickly through the long grass.  *shudder*  I’m sure it won’t be the last one I see slithering about, but I didn’t panic and run away screaming, so I claim victory.  Also, yuck!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for you to start LIKING those big ole black snakes! That's the law of the farmer, right? Snakes eat rodents so they're good to have around the farm! :)

    ReplyDelete