Monday, May 6, 2013

Germinating

Well, I took a week off.  Last weekend was rainy and cold, so I didn’t go out to the land.  I didn’t need to spend much time out there this weekend either, but I did take a couple pictures, because I’m so proud of my little seedlings! 
 


I had to improvise with the pvc pipes to keep the bird netting off the plants for now.  Hopefully I'll get to take those out and the netting off soon.  I thinned out the cucumbers (in the first row on the left) this weekend so there are only 2 per square foot now.  The peppers and lettuce seem to be growing pretty well, but some of my kale leaves are yellowing.  =( I’ll have to do a little research on why...

My grape tomatoes are getting so big, and they’re already blooming!  I pinched off the suckers on all the tomato plants while I was there admiring them, and in the other beds, I thinned out all the seedlings so they aren’t overcrowded.  It was just a lovely, relaxing time in the garden!

I can’t wait to be out there full time.  My appraisal finally came in last week, so I *should* finally get to close on the construction loan sometime this week.  (fingers crossed!)  Once we’re able to get started out there, they’ll have to put in my septic, level the land, pour my foundation, deliver the house, hook up the utilities, and finish the inside (so you can’t see the seam).  Hopefully it’ll just be another couple weeks after closing before I can move in, but we’ll see… So far every step of the process has taken much longer than anticipated.  It's all a waiting game - I'm waiting for seeds to grow in more ways than one!

In the meantime, I’m trying to condition myself for living on (much, much) less.  I’ve been so blessed to have been able to live with my parents this past year while I went through the divorce and got back on my feet, but real life begins again soon, with real bills.  My goal is to pay my car payment with the side businesses (I sell Paparazzi Accessories, Scentsy, and Scentsy’s new ‘Velata’ fondue line in my spare time) and get most of my groceries from the farm.  I may be living on eggs and tomatoes for the foreseeable future, though!  Ha. 

I don’t often miss being married, but when it comes to paying the bills… Well, it was nice having 2 salaries to draw from.  My expenses weren’t halved after the divorce, but the available income sure was.  Yet another adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment