Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cheap Like Me...on Gas


I'm thrifty.  Frugal.  Ok, you might call me cheap...

The bottom line is, I like to get the best bang for my buck, and my friends have encouraged me to share some of my tips.  So I figure I'll occasionally spotlight a way I pinch pennies, just for fun.

------------------

I live 45-60 minutes away from 'town' where I work, depending on traffic.  So I drive a lot more than most - usually at least 600 miles per week.  Even though I drive a fairly efficient vehicle, my gas budget is still tiiiiight.

$$
Thrifty tip:
Download the app:
Gas Buddy
$$

It's an app, available for the low, low price of FREE!  It pulls up prices from gas stations all over the area, and sorts them by price or by distance (you pick).  You can even specify what grade of gas you want, or have the results displayed on a map.  It's amazing what a price range you'll find in the same area. 

For instance, the other day I stopped for gas on the way home from work.  Instead of just automatically pulling into the place closest to the office, I checked Gas Buddy, and realized that if I drove a little ways towards home and stopped to fill up at a station along the highway, I'd pay 30 cents per gallon less!  If I put 12 gallons in my car, that's $3.60 savings!  Even if the spread isn't that wide, it's still money in my pocket, and every little bit adds up.

Here's what the app looks like.  I took the screen shots while I was actually filling up this last time, so that's why it shows the Pilot is the closest.  ;) 



 
Things to remember:
1.  The app doesn't show the discounts you'd get with loyalty cards, so factor that in.  You know you'll automatically have a $0.03 discount (at a minimum) for using your Kroger card at a Kroger gas station. 
 
2.  Don't forget you can use your Kroger card at Shell gas stations too!
 
3.  Don't forget to USE the app!  Don't just download it, check it before you fill up.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment